The key? Organize them according to your needs (more bars than drawers and shelves or vice versa), with capable modules and taking advantage of the minimum gap with boxes. Three gurus of order tell us their secrets
IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF CLOTHES TO HANG …
- Think about the type of clothing. What are the clothes you use the most and how much space do they take up? If what you have most are coats, dresses, and skirts, it is best to put a bar from side to side and reserve an area for long clothes and another for short ones. If you are not ‘very pants’, reserve a small module below.
- Calculate that the coats are about 160 cm high, the dresses at least 130 cm, and the pants 50 cm hanging down the middle. For coats, you should leave approximately 120 cm and for blouses, 85 cm. Put them in gradation to take advantage of the shelf below or with folded clothes or boxes.
CLOTHES, BAGS, AND FOOTWEAR ARE BY HAND
- Compartmentalize. If you need space for long and short clothes, shoes, and bags, and be able to see and access everything easily, divide the closet into modules like here. Put the bags in a row on a shelf on the hanging clothes (just reserve them 20 cm high) to quickly decide which one suits you.
- Shoes. If you have many, better assign a module to the side from top to bottom with removable shelves; This way you make better use of the fund. In width, calculate that each pair occupies 15-18 cm. If they are boots, 20 cm.
- Boxes in the trunk. For accessories that you wear little or clothes from another season. With a transparent visor to know what there is, or blinds to hide the less aesthetic.
THE PROTAGONISTS: BLOUSES, T-SHIRTS, AND SHOES
- All in order. If you love fashion and go together, have the models organized and ready in the closet; Thus, you will not waste time in the morning thinking about what you combine with what.
- Vertically. Ideally, you should group the blouse or shirt of each outfit with the shoes that go with it. You can put a bar and modules with shelves and drawers underneath like here. It is enough that the modules are 30 cm long as the folded clothes occupy 25 cm wide. And stick a led strip to the shelf to illuminate.
- By uses. Better if you put daily clothes at one end (going to work), and at the other, going out, and by colors.
- With mini bottom. If you have little room, you can make a closet of only 40 cm and put the bars in the cross (there are removable, see ikea.es) and put the clothes in front.
PLAY WITH SHELVES AND BOXES
- With adjustable shelves. “They are a great help to me because this way I can modify and adapt the structure of the wardrobe according to my needs and save space. For example, I do it by placing the winter clothes, which take up more than the summer clothes, when I need to store a clothing set. larger sport, etc “, he explains.
- Boxes “ They are my great allies: because they help me to compartmentalize and organize the smallest garments. And since they come in various sizes they allow me to take advantage of even the smallest gaps
- Clothes from another season. “ We use special bags –explain the experts in order–, as they have a hole to be able to extract the air (it can be done with a vacuum cleaner), the clothes occupy half. So we store in them everything out of season and the clothes of bed, and we put them in the trunk. “
- Star tip, we take advantage of the doors: The leaves, with accessories to hang necklaces, belts … If they are sliding, it is best to use the ends to hang longer clothes (coats, gowns …).
- For shoes, “ we prefer cloth boxes,” explains Lola and Sofía. “As they can be stacked, space is better used than with other shoe racks. We recommend choosing them with a transparent front, that is how they are located the first time,” they explain.
EXPAND THE CLOSET ABOVE AND BELOW
- Both areas are the least accessible in the closet, “so I try to make the most of them. I call them ‘passive’ (the ‘active’ would be the central one, where everything is at hand),” he points out.
- At the bottom, “I put removable accessories: baskets for jerseys, sweatshirts, etc., pants rack and also the shoe rack. So I can see everything at a glance and make the most of the bottom of the closet, he explains.